The 100-Yard Spin aims to provide random insight into the uniquely American institution of football - one of the most complex and diverse team sports in the world.

In essence, this blog is dedicated to the millions of athletes of various ages, from various backgrounds, and of various talents, who have participated and competed in American football over the years. You have put forth great effort and dedication to push the limits of human ability and achievement. For all that I am forever grateful.

Thanks and enjoy!

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Checking In and the Top Ten Things to Do if There is No NFL Season

It has been nearly three months since the 2011 NFL Draft and nothing more concerning business on the field has been conducted due to the current lockout situation. For any of you that are not aware of this holdup you obviously have not been paying too much attention, which is not a bad thing. This labor dispute between the league and the players concerning $900 million in revenue ultimately has nothing to do with us as fans, and hopefully the multitude of Americans that watch the NFL actually have something better to do than worry about what kind of deal is being worked out.

I for one do not care about the details of the business side of things concerning football. First of all, it is really none of my business. Secondly, I do have a life of my own. I understand that I am just a fan that willingly pays to see the NFL product one way or another, and I even go one step further and write about it for virtually nothing in return. I do not have any real vested interest in the NFL so I do not have a say in how things operate. I am just too damned busy enjoying myself to worry about what kind of deal those running the league are working out amongst themselves and the players anyway. When they get their stuff in line I will gladly indulge without taking anything personally. After all, it is just a business and my ultimate happiness does not hinge on other people's business dealings.

I know a lot of fans, especially the blue collar folk out there, feel like they have been slapped in the face over this multi-million dollar disagreement. As far as I am concerned no fan has any real justification for being upset. I'd like to think that this is still a free market capitalist society that thrives on the theory of supply and demand. If it is then there will most-likely be an NFL season to look forward to in our near future. However, if the league decided to close up shop for good that is their decision and they have every right to do just that, just as Post Cereals has a right to stop producing Fruity Pebbles if that is the direction they want to go as a business. Whether or not thousands of college kids that cannot cook for themselves go hungry is not the company's responsibility.

Obviously, I for one do not find too much value in traditions but don't misinterpret my words. I would not be happy to see us lose one single season of pro football. The point I am trying to make here is simply that professional football is THEIR business, not OURS. They, being the league and its owners, have every right to do what they want with their product no matter what we as fans might think. The players do not have to like it either, as they too have other options.

If the players decide that they should take their business elsewhere there is always the CFL (Canadian Football League) or the UFL (United Football League). If they are not happy with any of those options either there is always the possibility of them starting their own league, owned and operated by the players for the pure enjoyment of the fans. Now think about that for a minute. Do the players really need the NFL? I don't think so. Even if most of the uber-elite players in the NFL, such as Tom Brady and Peyton Manning, decided to stick it out with Commissioner Roger Goodell and the owners, imagine if a large group of players, consisting of the likes of Reggie Bush, James Harrison, Chad Ochocinco, or Donovan McNabb decided it was in their best interest to explore other avenues for employment. Most of us would probably watch it at least a little bit, especially if there was no NFL season.

Of course most fans would have a hard time not rooting for their favorite NFL franchise. Some habits do indeed die hard. I do believe though, that if we the fans were left with no other choice than to watch the UFL, or some other form of professional football, we would. I know I would. I even watched the XFL, despite its laughable attempt to make the game more entertaining. Remember, the Super Bowl was not always as big as it is today, with the first title game having over 30,000 empty seats in the L.A. Coliseum. In fact, all the fans in attendance of Super Bowl I were moved to the center of the stands to make it appear as if the stadium was full on TV. As we all know today regular season tickets average about 100 bones and one should expect to dish out a few grand to make it to the Super Bowl.

In all, do not expect me to weigh in too much on what is going on behind closed doors in the NFL. Let them conduct their business as they see fit. Things will work themselves out eventually. Until then find something else to do. In fact, here is a list of ten things to do this fall if there is no NFL season:

1. Watch College Football and argue about the need for a playoff system.
2. Watch the MLB playoffs and the World Series.
3. Watch the beginning of the NHL season (Looks like the NBA is headed for a lockout as well so forget about pro basketball)
4. Go for a hike.
5. Make a baby.
6. Celebrate Oktoberfest.
7. Plan and stock up for the 2012 apocalypse.
8. Go fishing.
9. Listen to the new album by The Deal with 44 due out sometime in November.
10. Watch the CFL and UFL.

Remember, these are just suggestions. If anybody has any better ideas please let me know what they are as I am always looking for something new to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment