The 100-Yard Spin aims to provide random insight into the uniquely American institution of football - one of the most complex and diverse team sports in the world.

In essence, this blog is dedicated to the millions of athletes of various ages, from various backgrounds, and of various talents, who have participated and competed in American football over the years. You have put forth great effort and dedication to push the limits of human ability and achievement. For all that I am forever grateful.

Thanks and enjoy!

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

So Long Good Friend


Gettin' in it was Nick's passion in life
and he got in it as often as possible.
Athletes come in all shapes and sizes.

One of the most diversely-skilled and naturally-gifted people that I have ever known was a fellow Grand Teton National Park Trail Crew member named Nick Gillespie. The guy was a natural in every sense of the word. He was the Leatherman multi-tool of human beings, tackling elite-level challenges he continuously set forth before himself. He was one person that I found to be truly living for the moment and never took life for granted.



Nick's name is synonymous
with the mountains in my mind.
I had the pleasure of being neighbors with Nick in the Highlands cabins area of the park. We quickly became friends. He had a way of making lots of friends. It was another one of his fine-tuned skills. I for one instantly trusted him and found him to be a world class adventuring partner. Every time he was doing something it was something extremely cool. And he was often just glad to share the moment with you.


We definitely lost a great one when Nick passed on during a ski trip on January 27th in a place he would not have traded for anything.



So long good friend!
We shall miss you.
My condolences go out to his family and friends, and my thoughts and prayers are with our entire extended Jackson Hole family. You all are a blessing in my life and I will honor Nick every time I carve my skis through the snow, lay may hands on some rock, or cast a line in the water. No fireside meal or back-country drink will go without a thanks to the universe for bringing him into my life.


See you all soon. Be safe and take care of each other.




Cheers and Love to All!

Scot


2 comments:

  1. Dearest Scott, Thank you for the beautiful tribute to our dear Nick. We just miss him so. Words like yours are so comforting to read, that he contributed so much to many wonderful folks' lives.
    Here it has been 5 and 1/2 weeks since we lost Nick to an avalanche and we are still finding incredible things written about him.
    Thank you,with love, Alison , Jim and Heidi Gillespie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Scot!!When Nick grabs a hold of my mind I am never easily able to shake him. Whether driving the pass every morning or my return in the evenings. Nick made my life better and some how he is continuing to do this. Heidi, Alison and Jim I am fighting for my kids right now because I am afraid of losing them yet I cant imagine how you all are feeling. Jim every time I get my kids I squeeze them, put my face to theirs and smell. I remember you telling me that you would do this with Nick when he was a child.
      Please be well and cheers to Nicks life. It was one that any of us would have been proud to live!
      Cheers,
      Charles
      Heidi, I hope you are well!!!!

      Delete